Wednesday, May 16, 2007

In Response To Criticism

Some old people are cool. They have wisdom and patience gleaned from decades of life experience and we could all stand to learn from them. Others, however, just turn into miserable grouchy old goats that no one wants to be around. My grandmother falls decidedly into the latter category.

Ever watch Roseanne? How about Everybody Loves Raymond? Well, my grandma is Bev from Roseanne (but without the lesbianism of the last season) but she looks like Marie from Raymond. She knows everything, and if she doesn't know or understand it it obviously doesn't matter. To illustrate, here are some topical opinions, from my grandmother:

The circumcision debate: It doesn't hurt them; they just push something somewhere. Oh, they cut it? Well I don't know, I just signed what they told me to sign. And besides, you have to circumcise a baby to show that it's white.

Gay marriage: Well we can't let them get married. If they got married what would show that it's better not to be gay?

On race: Thankfully your grandfather just looked tan, and the family never mentioned it. I wouldn't have married him at all if I'd known he wasn't white! (For the record, my grandfather was one eighth Native American. And also, there was the whole black Barbie episode.)

On childhood obesity: Someone needs to tell that boy not to sit in the good chairs. He'll break them! Do you want some ice cream? Or I have candy bars in the drawer over there.

Now, to illustrate the other end of the old people spectrum, I offer this example:





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If your grandmother doesn't believe circumcision hurts, have her watch this video of one. It'll change her mind.
http://www.intact.ca (the lower half of the page).

And about the race and your grandfather - WOW! I don't even know what to say.

Becky