Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Caitlyn Jenner

A lot of people are upset about Caitlyn Jenner being called a hero. They're posting photos of soldiers, soldiers' graves, firefighters, paramedics, etc, to show what a "real" hero looks like. Does this mean that I can no longer call my mother my hero? She was just a secretary, just a mom. She never fought a war, rushed into a fire, or saved the life of a stranger. So she can't be a "real" hero, right? And neither can I, to my kids, for the same reason. But if we can consider our parents to be our heroes then we can grant other people the right to choose their own heroes. And to some, Caitlyn Jenner is a hero. She is doing what so many can only dream of doing, being her authentic self, in public, no matter the backlash. And as the father to what, five?, kids I think she can be called a hero. Just like my mom can.

No comments: