Monday, May 05, 2008

Shoulda Kept Christopher A Saint

The other day I was driving along scenic I-88 and I noticed, not for the first time, a cross on the side of the road, decorated with weather beaten silk flowers. You've seen them before, the crosses nailed together as a shrine to someone who died in an auto accident. Normally I see these things and I feel a bit of sadness for whatever poor soul was flattened on the side of the road but this one got me curious.

Why is it always a cross? Why do only Christians get run over? You never see a Star of David on the side of the road surrounded by dying roses and polyester carnations. It's never a pentagram. It's always a cross. It makes me wonder; is Jesus really the way to salvation, or just the way to a tire track across your frontal lobe?

No comments: