Tuesday, September 13, 2011

more disjointed brain thoughts

I met this guy one time who liked to chat. I worked at a convenience store and he was a customer and one day I tried to sell him some new candy bar or something and he kind of chuckled at me. He told me he hadn't eaten chocolate in ten years. His wife had had brain cancer and either the cancer or the treatment had robbed her of her sense of taste, except for chocolate. The guy asked me, "Do you know what happens when you can't taste your food? You gag and choke on it." So he said they had to just dump Hershey's syrup on everything. Steak, salad, chicken noodle soup, all of it coated with Hershey's syrup. For over a year every meal he had with his wife smelled like chocolate, until she died. He said the worst part was, she didn't like chocolate; it was just the only thing she could taste. I don't remember the segue but he said in the end she died because the tumor outgrew her brain. He said they cut away her skull bit by bit to relieve pressure until her head was huge and then when she ran out of scalp to cover it the doctors said they could make more room by removing the brain around the tumor.  He said no and the tumor grew and she died.

This story has been in my mind since 4:00 pm today. That man chuckling at the candy bar, telling me about his wife eating meal after meal doused in chocolate she didn't like, and eventually doctor's offering to cut away her mind just to keep her body alive. It's the only brain cancer story I know, except that Dom Mucci had a brain tumor removed in his teens and woke up left handed. So I guess there's hope there.

The ribbon for brain cancer is gray. As in gray matter. As in the most depressing color in existence.

3 comments:

roberts05 said...

I am sorry. I really don't have any words to make it better, because I know far to well that they don't. I will pray that your mom will have an amazing outcome and get through this. Please let me know if I can help with anything. Child care, meal, talk whatever? Gray is a depressing color for sure, but teal was always a cheerful color to me until I found out it represents the cancer that took my mom. I am getting a tattoo though with the teal awareness ribbon this month.

Sally Heap said...

My brother in law does awesome tattoo work. He works at Poopy's in Savanna.

roberts05 said...

I am going to Blue at Sleeve Weasels, he has done my other two so I have a sense of loyalty or something? Kristy is going with and getting one as well. I can't wait to get it!