Thursday, January 25, 2007

An Actual Wardrobe (Department) Malfunction

Television watching requires a person to suspend disbelief a little. I get that. I watch a lot of sitcoms and some sci-fi and I know that not everything makes sense, that artistic license comes into play a lot for the sake of the plot-line. But there are some things I see that consistently drive me nuts because they don't benefit the plotlines.

I think the biggest peeve I have relating to any television show I watch, is with Medium. I realize that it's a program about a psychic woman solving murders. I don't have a problem at all with this woman speaking to the dead, getting visions while shaking hands, or even occasionally seeing the future. What I have the problem with is the fault of the wardrobe department. I have to ask, why on Earth does Allison Dubois sleep in a support bra? What woman sleeps every night in a support bra? At least three times every episode they show the woman in bed, either waking up from a bad dream or going to sleep to have one, and every time she ends up lying on her back with her boobs pushed into her chin. The character is a mother of three, in her (probably) mid-thirties, and thankfully has the figure of an average healthy woman her age with three kids. But full-time mothers in their mid-thirties do not, without surgical anhancement that has never been implied in the show, possess breasts that defy gravity to such an extent as to stick straight upwards like cantelopes glued into place. I'm not saying it would be better for them to fall into her armpits, as boobs always do, but maybe she could sleep in something a little looser, with a sport bra underneath. I doubt even Heidi Klum sleeps in a Victoria's Secret push-up bra. I am almost to the point of blaming Mrs. Dubois' constant nightmares on poking underwire.

This doesn't bother me all the time, only when I'm watching the show, which I am right now. Thank the gods for the DVR; it makes it easier to pause a show to rant about unrealistic breasts. I mean, really though, sometimes her chin doesn't even make it into the shot.

1 comment: