Friday, August 03, 2007

An old friend

An old friend found me and we've been talking. Marv manages a pizza place now and sometimes he calls me between Super-Pepperonis.

Perhaps I should preface this with, "My husband thinks I'm a slut."

See, back in the days before motherhood and marriage, actually in the days directly leading up to motherhood, from a biology point of view, I was friendly. I won't say I was easy, because I did have my standards. But that whole joke about how girls know in the first five minutes whether they're going to do it or not? It's true, and I never wasted much time after that. So Tom, bless his heart, thinks I was easy. And he doesn't judge me for it; he was easy too. But whenever I mention an old friend, he thinks I've slept with him. Especially if it's a long-haired pizza boy. Come on, how many professions let a guy grow his hair out? And I did love the long hair...

Anyway, an old friend found me. Old as in pre-motherhood. Pre stretch marks, pre- telletubbies, pre "to Gardasil or not to Gardasil" (I Gardasiled). He was my friend when I was young and fancy-free, and he was a good friend too. I have missed him over the years. And now I have heard back from him and it's nice.

For one thing, it's nice to hear from someone who has no choice but to picture you skinny. For another thing, it's nice to hear from someone who remembers you before you could name the Telletubbies. By color. With their favorite toys. (ball, hat, skirt, purse) But Tom, well Tom may not understand. Because I was friendly with Marv. He had long hair. He made pizza. What was a girl to do? But Marv was a friend, despite that. And I like talking to him now that he's resurfaced.

So, my faithful reader(s), is it so wrong that I talk to Marv? Would it be wrong to introduce Marv and Tom? Am I too sleepy to blog right now? Any comment would be good. Just.....let 'er rip.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

So you didn't make it clear whether or not you slept with Marv. If you did, I'm going to advise that you not be friends with him. That's really just asking for trouble. If you never slept with Marv (or even just wanted to), then it should be fine for you to be friends with him. I would introduce him to Tom and maybe even include Tom when you hang out with Marv until he feels comfortable enough that nothing is going to happen.

Sally Heap said...

Ahh, but I thought I had made it clear. Perhaps my use of the word 'friendly' was too vague. Okay, I'll be blunt. I slept with Marv. I slept with Marv's friends. I slept with people they knew before we knew that we knew the same people. I had many issues and at the time I attempted to work them out on my back. I have since matured and am able to joke about such childish antics, as is Tom. But yeah, Marv-sex is part of the equation.

Shelly said...

Sorry! You did make it clear, but I read your post, didn't have time to comment, came back and skimmed the post to refresh my memory, then started typing. Not my finest hour!

Ooh, so marv-sex is part of the equation. Seriously, I know that we would all like to believe that we're grown-ups and we trust our spouses and nothing bad will ever happen, but we're still humans. If I were Tom, I would always be slightly worried about you hanging out with Marv. But that's me and I freely admit to being a jealous bitch.