Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Toes, already.

Okay I hate the pregnancy counters. Apparently I am two to three weeks farther along than I thought, because my pregnancy started before I got pregnant. What, you think that makes no sense? Well let me explain it to you.

Since most people don't have the luxury of being able to narrow the date of conception down to a couple days like I do (since Tom's only home a few days a month) it seems that the medical community has decided to date pregnancy from the beginning of a woman's last period. So even though I've only been pregnant since Thanksgiving (about 7 weeks), I am somehow ten weeks along. Also, by this screwed up logic, I have been four weeks pregnant at the beginning of every period since puberty, since it is now medically accepted that a woman can be two weeks into her pregnancy before the egg is fertilized. See? I was two weeks pregnant when I got pregnant!

So now instead of being only seven weeks pregnant, as in "Oh my god I'm almost two months along," I'm almost into my second trimester already. Suddenly the chapters I've been reading and the animated development calendars I've been googling are all wrong. And my due date: off by a week. Odd that it's only a week, but what the hell!

I do not need this, not when I'm this moody. Suddenly I have toes in my uterus, toes that were two weeks away from forming yesterday.

No comments: